When was the last time you completely disconnected from the hubbub of running your online business?
For the past 1 1/2 weeks I’ve had my mobile off, email disconnected, and practically no access to business life. As someone whose daily life consists of answering 400+ emails, making 100 calls, and hosting back-to-back meetings, disconnecting from it all was a shocker. It felt like I was a kid again to break free from all of the pressures of running online businesses!!!
The journey began on a Friday at 6pm. I wrapped up a meeting with my HR Manager, Sales Director, and top sales agent. I tasked them with discovering the best path forward on a project and to have a solution ready when I came back from vacation.
As soon as the meeting broke I did the following:
1. Deleted all email accounts from my iPhone. I needed my phone for a few more hours to make calls to friends/family.
2. Took auto responder’s live (actually did this earlier in the week out of anxiousness).
3. Packed up computer in a safe place where I wouldn’t be able to reach it.
After making a few dials to family/friends I turned off my mobile. With no computer/phone/and family around (they decided to go to the Jersey Shore early), it felt weird as hell. HA! No baby crying? No wife nagging! What in the world!!!!
That’s when the exhaustion hit me. I’d been hitting it so hard at work that the sudden downtime sent a wave of lethargy over my entire being. I stumbled into my room and slept for 16 hours straight! Running on 4-5 hours of sleep maximum every night, my body was craving a good night’s rest.
Over the next week I spent quality time with my kids, wife, parents, and close friends. My greatest joy in life is spending time with Alexis and Ryan, my 2 children. As the sole financial provider in my family, I work my ass off to ensure that my wife, kids, and parents are taken care of AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL. After all, isn’t that every man’s job?
With that responsibility comes enormous sacrifice. Most notably I do not get to spend as much time as I’d like with my family. That’s why family vacations and total disconnects from technology are a MUST for me.
It’s now been a few days since my vacation ended. Jumping back into the grind I feel like a new man!!! I’m totally refreshed and super pumped up.
In the month of August we have a 20,000,000+ impression radio campaign launching and a muliple media buys lighting up. We’re going to see more traffic than we’ve ever seen before. Our super bowl is right around the corner and the team is rested up and ready to play to win!!!
Here’s 3 tips on how to disconnect from business life when you go on vacation:
1. Leave your phone and computer behind! The only true way to disconnect is to TOTALLY DISCONNECT.
2. Create an email account called: [email protected] Check that email account a few times during the week from someone else’s computer.
3. Relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor! Going on vacation is just about the only time that you should rest on your laurels